Sunday, May 23, 2010

...welcome

Welcome to the first post -- an introduction of sorts.

I was recently inspired when I read a book called "Do One Nice Thing." The author, Debbie Tenzer, decided that making a difference in the world doesn't have to be difficult, complicated, or expensive and decided to do just one nice thing a week -- on Mondays. I loved this concept. I was inspired by all of her stories and ideas of simple things each of us can do to make this a better place. I decided the one nice thing I can do is to start this blog.

There are so many good causes and organizations worthy of our attention. There have been so many times I have thought,...."I would love to help with this," or "I would love to be involved in that," but sometimes I feel overwhelmed and quite frankly can't find the information easily enough. I have come across organizations or ideas for service in magazines that I wish I could remember, but forgot as soon as I set the magazine down. I have also struggled feeling like I can't do everything, so where do I start? Often times, I haven't known who to talk to, where to go, how to make some of these things happen.

My hope for this blog is that it will be a place to start.
A place where I can share ideas, resources and information to make it easier to get started. I'm hoping it will be a place to collect and share inspiration.

I hope it will be a place where you can easily find something good to do.

Together, perhaps we can gather all of our goodness and make a difference.

6 comments:

Robyn said...

What a great idea! I love, love your button. Can't wait to see all the good that's going to come of this blog.

Thelissa said...

Thank you for what you are doing!

Heidi said...

I love the idea too -- I am glad you have decided to take this on so we can all benefit!

Innsbrook RS said...

You inspired me to make a donation to a charity I've heard about a couple of times but keep putting off.
It's called "Charity: Water."
They get private donors and sponsors to pay for all their costs so %100 of public donations goes straight to water projects. Check it out! The following came from their website, www.charitywater.org :

"You may be wondering – how does charity: water give away 100%? A group of private donors, foundations and sponsors help pay for the everyday costs of running the organization. Our flights to the field, our staff, our office, even paperclips and ink toner are sponsored so your money goes straight to water projects. From the beginning, our mission was to restore people’s faith in charity, and one of the ways to do that was to direct 100% of donors’ money straight to project costs. In fact, we’re so passionate about giving 100% that we pay the paypal and credit card transaction fees each time you donate online. So each time someone gives, a true 100% goes straight to building a well.

Would you like to learn about supporting operating costs?
Contact supporters@charitywater.org"

Britney said...

Jenny, that is awesome. Charity:Water is actually one of the organizations I have listed under For Goodness Sake. I'm glad to see you've already done a plug for it! I'll have to have you do a guest post about it. It is a GREAT organization!

Thanks!

mom said...

Britney, I am so impressed with this webiste and your efforts to make adifference. This is a wonderful service to all of us as well as to those whose charities will benefit. I love "say thank you", I can always use a reminder of ways to become better. So, THANK YOU, YOU EFFORTS ARE APPRECIATED. Love you, mom